i have more tabs open on my computer than i have friends
From this day’s forward, you aren’t just my manga’s very first fan. You’re my friend!
Newt is the Glader that everyone can trust.
Okay so i got a few notes on how i go about Environments/Landscapes…so i’ll share a method thats easy to work with….bare with me its been a little while since ive drawn them Lol
First thing you want to start of with in your gradient background…use what ever is your preference. Depends on the setting, ima do some type of desert/dusty place.
You’ll learn that the Lasso tool is gonna be your bae when it comes to environments…that and its pretty useful. Now your going to be working in three tones, 1.Dark 2.Mid 3.Light and it will always be the darkest at the front fading to light towards the back…make sense? So you will have three layers for each one to make your life easier and Lock those layers so you will only color within that area. Make sure the dark layer is on top.
Here is where the fun kicks in…we add our dets, try to stay with each tone and dont end up making it all muddy so you cant distinguish each one. Now you can go about this any way you please, you can paint it all in with one brush ( for some reason people get anal about shit like that, thinking there great for using one brush…i think if you got tools use em if you know how to do it right.) Or you can use custom brushes…since this is a tut ill mostly use custom brushes to slap stuff around. Its up to you really, also use the lasso tool like i said its your bae.
The lasso can help define things better for you, so i wanted to add a structure type on the third layer. If you want to give an effect that the selection ive made is in front of the background right click your selection and invert it, add some lighting around the edges…only a little though you dont want to over do it.
Also if you’ve done something on a layer you dont want to mess up or paint on what you can do is create a clipping mask on that layer. Its kinda like locking the layer to that one so you dont go outside of the layer or ruin what you worked on. Make a new layer above the one you wish to attach it to and right click the newlayer, a menu will pop up, your looking for clipping mask. Once you clicked it the layer should look like what ive circled.
Once your done working on each layer we are gonna put in some mist effect, this is something that helps separate each section. So make a new layer between each of your three as shown in the image. Like i said you can use what ever method you like, i just use a soft brush or cloud/mist brush to get what i want.
Now we are going to add some definition to the image a good one to use is Curves. You can find this where your layer menu is, at the bottom you’ll find it, ive circled what your looking for. On the third image is what will appear when you click curves, all you need to do is drag the little square and you’ll see some magic happen. So adjust it to your preference. If you want you can also mess with brightness/contrast too. ALSO i would recommend adding a person in the image, it gives you an idea of the scale your environment is.
I was going to end it there but hey, ill show one last thing…its pretty simple. and that is some water reflection, we are going to turn the middle into water instead cause its a little boring right now. I merged all layers but the first one, you then want to make a selection and copy/paste. Free transform in the shortcut is ctrl T and do a vertical flip on it then adjust so its mirroring the top.
Now make a clipping mask like i explained earlier on the reflected surface and use the radiant tool…i think its called that lol it gives it more of a water surface like you see. For the image below it i used a custom brush which creates a water effect, aaaaaaaaaand bam you got you water now covering the area…easy huh.
And so this concludes the Tutorial and you have the end result. Hopefully that gave some tips on how to approach landscapes…they can be confusing sometimes on where to start. Enjoy and let me know if it was useful or not :P
* means fave
- Losers by stilinskisparkles
- Werewolf-Friendly by badwolfbadwolf *
- DELETE ME by trilliath
- sparks by thepsychicclam
- The Chemistry Between Us by coffeeinallcaps *
- This Isn’t Control by secondstar
- The Company I Keep by secondstar *
- Call Me, Maybe (but not in the library) by bibliosexual
- Nothing Short Of Perfect by GotTheSilver
- Triple Shot Pumpkin Spice Latte by coffeeinallcaps
- So Your Roommate is a Werewolf: A Cut-out and Keep Guide by concernedlily
- There is a Brotherhood by minusoneday *
- an exultation of larks by llassah *
- Say It With Me (Don’t Assume) by KuriKuri
- Nowhere Man by 1lostone *
- Alpha Spikes by starbeast *
- Hello, Heartbreaker by astoryaboutwar (ofalexandra)
- Valentine’s Day Candy in Aisle Four by linksofmemories
- Waiting Games by Jerakeen *
- Mix and Match by Jerakeen
- and the wild things roared their terrible roar by hoars
- The Well of Living Waters by kalpurna
- The Second Coming (of Werewolf Jesus) by lupinus, uraneia *
- a little advice for aspiring fires by The Byger (Byacolate) *
- Tiny Houses by ohmyjetsabel *
- Make Peace With Your Demons by LolaFeist
- betting on the unexpected by vlieger
- Predator/Prey by someone_who_isnt_me *
- Shelter by five_ht *